Dr. Ethna Lay
Words and Meanings
- Predilection- A preference or special liking for something.
Pre= before, I= to go, lect= pick out, to choose , ion= action
- Acumen- The ability to make good judgments and quick decisions.
- Junction- A point where two or more things are joined.
- Animadversion- Criticism or censure.
Anim= Life , ad= vers= to turn , ion= action
- Improbity= Wickedness or dishonesty
Im= not, prob (probus)= good, honest , ity= more at
- Accretions- The process of growth or increase, typically by the gradual accumulation of additional layers or matter.
Ac= to, toward , cret=to grow ion=action
- Sedition- Conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.
- Transient- Lasting only for a short time.
- Capacity- The maximum amount that something can contain.
Cap= to take, ac=toward
- Resolute- Admirably purposeful, determined, and unwavering.
Re= back, gain, solute= to free
- Admonition- An act or action of admonishing; authoritative counsel or warning
Ad=to toward, mon=to warn, advise, it= ion= action
- Soliloquies- An act of speaking one’s thoughts aloud when by oneself or regardless of any hearers, especially by a character in a play.
Sol=alone Loqu=to speak
- Profusion- An abundance or large quantity of something
Pro=for Fus=to pour
- Increment- An increase or addition, especially one of a series on a fixed scale
- Coherent- Of an argument, theory, or policy logical and consistent.
- Firmament- The heavens or the sky, especially when regarded as a tangible thing.
Firm-strong, firm, ment=mind
- Premonitory-no definition found
- Adjuncts- A thing added to something else as a supplementary rather than an essential part.
Ad= to toward, junct=join
- Ambition- A strong desire to do or to achieve something, typically requiring determination and hard work.
- Complement- A thing that completes or brings to perfection
Com=with , ple=to fill
- Perfidy- deliberate breach of faith or trust; faithlessness; treachery.
Per=utterly, fid=trust y=having
- Tenacity- the quality or fact of being able to grip something firmly
Ten=hold, Ac= toward, near, ity=quality
- Suffused- Gradually spread through or over.
Suf=under, below, fus=pour ed=verb in past tene
- Expatriated- A person who lives outside their native country
Ex=out of, part=father
- Fidelity- Faithfulness to a person, cause, or belief, demonstrated by continuing loyalty and support.
- Obsequious- Obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree
Ob=toward sequ=the following ious=having the quality of
- Obsequies- no meaning found.
Ob= toward sequ=the following
- Potentate- A monarch or ruler, especially an autocratic one.
- Averred- State or assert to be the case.
- Vivacity- the quality of being attractively lively and animated
Viv-life ac=toward it= go y=having
- Incisive- intelligently analytical and clear-thinking
In=not cis=to kill
- Retort- Say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive manner.
- Plenary- Unqualified; absolute
Ple=to fill ary=pertaining to
- Confederacy- A league or alliance, especially of confederate states.
Con=with, together, feder=trust , ac=toward
- Sanctimonious- Making a show of being morally superior to other people.
Sanct= sanctuary Mon=warn
- Acrimony- Bitterness or ill feeling.
Acri=bitter, Mon-warn, y=having
- Matricide- The killing of one’s mother
Matr- mother, cide=to kill
- Patrimony- Property inherited from one’s father or male ancestor
Patri=father mon=remind, y=start
- Veracity- Conformity to facts; accuracy.
Vers=to turn, ac=toward ity=state or quality
- Retentive- having the ability to remember facts and impressions easily.
Re=again, tent=reach, ive= having the quality of
. The word “fire” and the “cold”
Fire literal meaning is combustion or burning, in which substances combine chemically with oxygen from the air and typically give out bright light, heat, and smoke. But, it can also be used in the other territories such I have “fired” and employee.
Cold, its litteral meaning of or at a low or relatively low temperature, especially when compared with the human body. But, it can also be used as I have developed a “cold” or you have a “cold” heart.
The word “kill” and “float”.
I “killed” that exam meaning I did very well on that exam.
it “floats” my boat meaning it soothes my soul.
The word “thin” and the “large”.
Thin once had the meaning of someone healthy and attraction now it is more likey to mean someone unhealthy and without attractive curves. Large had once been an adjective to building, things etc. now it is an adjective for people who are overweight.
The word “love” the word stays the same but the meaning changes. If I say, “love is good,” you’ll probably agree with me but if you realize what I meant that “prostitution should be legal” you agreement may change.
The word “spoon” is concert because if you ask what a “spoon” is I can pick it up and show you oppose to “love” I can’t show you what that means and it tends to change in circumstances.